Monday, September 2, 2013

WHERE: Chicago, Illinois


From everyone to whom much has been given, much will be required; and from the one to whom much has been entrusted, even more will be demanded. Luke 12:48



Sassy Massey Family Selfie
Mom, Dad, Angela, Me
At the beginning of August I said “See ya later” to my camp family and lots of other friends and family in NOLA and the Carolinas.  I was overwhelmed by the reminder that I am surrounded by a great cloud of witnesses who have constantly embodied Christ's unconditional love to me.  

Mom, Dad, and Angela dropped me off at the airport on August 14th to depart for my YAGM year.  After a few tears, tight hugs, and one last family selfie… I was on a plane to Chicago for one week of orientation.

  

There I joined 60 YAGM volunteers, a team of alums, and the amazing YAGM staff for a week of discernment, reflection, small group time, and preparation for our year of service.  The days seemed to never end, yet the week flew by.  What a joy it was to be surrounded by enthusiastic and intelligent young adults, all committed to the same mission.   We talked about what exactly that mission was, and whose it was to be exact.  Discussions of our backgrounds and past experiences revealed to be just as diverse as the places we will be serving this year.
My YAGM orientation small group!  There names and placements listed below.
Top: Sean-Malaysia, Kelly- South Africa, Chelsea-Jerusalem, Tyler-Argentina
Bottom: Me-Hungary, Jess-YAGM Alum United Kingdom, Vickey-United Kingdom
We heard from speakers about the complexity of culture and pluralism and how our viewpoints are ultimately influenced by the power and privilege we obtain by simply being born in a particular country.  No doubt I was rattled, shaken, even frustrated at our discussions and the realization that I and so many I know are abundantly blessed with resources, money, health, and even time.  So I wonder what my actions, words, and work will look like in Hungary in response to God’s blessings.  Dad, thanks for teaching me that when much is given, much is expected.   

More later. -Mere

No comments:

Post a Comment